Feng Shui is the Chinese ‘art of placement’. Feng Shui colors are known to enhance nearly every aspect of life. Certain colors can help create better physical and mental health; some can stimulate the mind and improve the mood; still others can help increase productivity and effectiveness at work.
Feng Shui Colors in Chinese culture
In fact; right since ancient times, the Chinese have utilized colors in every aspect of their lives: food preparation, medicines, art, as well as poetry have colors as one of the main components. Among the nine elements of Feng shui, color is one of the basic components and it also reflects in the remaining eight elements. The Chi energy (also called as the life energy) is known to be related to Feng shui colors. Feng shui colors are considered to be a manifestation of the cosmic energy as well. The basis of the principle of Feng shui is that when we add or remove color from our environment, we can stimulate either a positive or a negative response. Hence, we should not underestimate the power of color associations when decorating our homes or offices.
Using Feng Shui colors for the home
Feng shui colors experts can advise regarding the use or avoidance of certain colors. They do so by studying not only the alignment of hallways, doorways, width of the passages and placement of furniture in a home but also by studying the personal Chi of its occupants. Based on these observations, they recommend certain colors for the walls and in the art work. Other than these recommendations, feng shui colors experts also make use of the Ba-Gua Color octagon. This is placed on the layout of each room in certain position. The octagon considers major life events such as marriage, fame, success, career etc and has certain colors marked upon it which can help enhance each of these events in the occupants’ lives. For example, those seeking fame and success can make use of red color paintings in that area of the room which indicates “fame” as per the Ba-Gua (also called Pa-Kua) color octagon.
Since choice of colors is a highly personal experience most feng shui colors experts recommend that occupants use their favorite colors for the different areas in the home as doing so can make one feel comfortable and happy. However, here are a few recommendations they make:
- Black is one color which must be avoided as it is a sign of self destruction and depression.
- Ceilings should preferably be of light colors as dark colored ceilings are indicative of dark clouds as per Chinese philosophy. Thus, they can negatively affect health, wealth and good luck.
- Softer colors like pink, peach, beige, cream, ivory and tan are recommended for the bedrooms. Red and orange must be strictly avoided here as they can lead to insomnia.
- Earthy colors like brown, green and orange are best for the kitchens. Blue is not recommended here as it is the water element. (Blue is generally not recommended for many rooms as it can make people quiet/introspective or feel cold).
- Light shade of blue or light green is considered among the best feng shui colors for the living rooms. These are restful colors that encourage quieter activities.
- For home gyms and sports rooms, one can use reds and oranges as these are energetic and stimulating.
- For making rooms appear larger than they are, lighter shades are recommended. Red, yellow and blue, on the other hand help ‘decrease’ the size of the rooms.
- For study rooms and rooms where creative activities take place, yellow is recommended. However, its use should be subtle and not overwhelming as it can cause headaches.
These are a few ways of implementing the feng shui colors when decorating one’s home.