The paint colors for kitchen you choose for the walls are just as important in the overall kitchen color ideas and schemes and go a long way in balancing the colors of the cabinets, countertops and appliances etc. Remember, as always, that there is no right or wrong color. You can always repaint or repaper the kitchen walls with different paint colors for kitchen. That being said; it is still a good idea that the chosen wall colors follow the lead of the more permanent features like the countertops and cabinets.
Here are a few ways to go about selecting the right kitchen color ideas.
- It is easier to select the paint colors for kitchen when you have neutral colored permanent features like cabinets and countertops. These neutral shades include off-white, gray, beige, tan, light-wood etc. For these shades, pretty much all colors are complementary. Most of the times, the cabinets cover major portions of the kitchen walls. Then there are the windows that may be taking up some space. In either case, one can use the stronger/brighter paint shades for kitchen walls so that they do not overpower the general scheme.
- Conversely, you can opt for the neutral paint colors for kitchen and then use the cabinets and countertops to add splashes of colors. Backsplashes, window frames, accessories and rugs can also be used in creative ways to add to the overall kitchen color ideas.
- Some homeowners choose bright and vibrant colors for the cabinets. In this case, it is better to opt for more subdued colors for the walls. Examples include cherry cabinets and deep green countertops that go rather well with lighter shades of green or yellow for the paint colors for kitchen walls.
More tips to bear in mind when choosing the kitchen color ideas
- As is the case with bathrooms, it is important to choose the right brand of paint that can offer moisture resistance and washability in your paint colors for kitchens. Several manufacturers have developed mould resistant and anti bacterial paints that are especially made for kitchens and baths.
- The choice of paint colors for kitchen walls as well as those for the countertops and cabinets must offer hygienic surfaces that are easy to clean again and again. Many paint manufacturing companies have developed easy-to-maintain, cost effective as well as moisture and scratch resistant laminates and surfaces.
- It is important to consider the natural lighting in the kitchen. This can greatly impact the choice of paint colors for kitchen. Consider the sun changing with seasons, as well as the artificial lighting in the kitchen. When using the samples paint colors, make sure to apply on large portions of the wall and testing them under different lighting at different times of the day. Also consider the surfaces you use: dark and rough surfaces ‘absorb’ the light while pale and smoother surfaces reflect and magnify the effects several times over.
- Consider the latest trends in the market. Many paint companies develop new and trendy color palettes based on cult movements, fashion, movies etc. Even the latest travel destinations tend to influence the kitchen color ideas. However, do be careful and not go overboard with trendy hues, rather use them in accessories instead of the paint colors for kitchens.
These are a few ways of utilizing kitchen color ideas to breathe a fresh lease of life in an old kitchen.