Healing colors are the colors that influence mood, calm the nervous system and make the environments less provoking and peace inducing. Over the centuries, many cultures across the world have employed colors for their healing powers. Even today, Chromotherapy is an important tool for gentle healing treatment. In this guide, we will discuss seven of the best colors for healing as well as the ways to use these colors to recover from disease. Using these healing colors for a room or clothing, you can significantly change the patient’s mood and bring about many mind, body benefits.
Healing colors for hospitals
Red is a passionate and warm color which induces vitality and stimulates energy. It increases adrenaline and elevates blood pressure-so avoid using it when the patient is suffering from hypertension. This could be the reason why red is used only moderately in hospitals. At home though, you can use this color for stimulating appetite in weak patients. Red can also alleviate depression. It is one of the top healing colors for enhancing sexual appetite and overall vitality.
According to color healing therapy, orange is one of the best colors for hospitals and particularly for children’s rooms. Orange radiates warmth and is associated with joy and happiness. In fact: even oranges which are packed with Vitamin C-the powerful antioxidant- are known to heal and fight free radicals to boost immunity. Therefore, as far as cancer healing colors go, orange is an important color in the color healing chart.
Search for healing colors for hospitals and yellow would be high up in the list. This bright and cheerful color can help stimulate intelligence and also detoxify the body and mind to heal patients quickly. Yellow is particularly recommended for patients with skin problems. It can inspire creativity in people who feel sluggish or lethargic. Avoid overuse of yellow as it can hamper the digestive health and lead to stomach problems and insomnia.
Green color is known for its balanced healing properties. It is a restful color that symbolizes growth and renewal. It also encourages comfort and equilibrium and is particularly beneficial for the heart, lungs and circulatory system.
This spiritual color is also the color of the sky and sea. Blue is an important healing color as it is linked with calm and serenity. It helps lower blood pressure and can reduce rapid heart rate. Blue is relaxing for the mind and body. It is associated with organs like eyes, ears and nose and involved with the senses of smell, sight and sound.
Pink is feminine yet a soothing color that shows caring and affection. It is a protective and compassionate color that heals and soothes. This lighthearted color can stimulate happiness. Too much of bright pink might stimulate energy and incite passionate behavior just like its distant cousin Red. Pink can be however be safely useful in hospitals and prisons to reduce erratic behavior.
Both, purple and violet, as well as its related shades like lilac and lavender are connected with spirituality. These healing colors are also linked with perception, higher consciousness and insight. Health wise, these colors are linked with the cerebral and nervous systems.
How to use healing colors in hospitals?
- Color healing for cancer patients can be implemented in the radiology suite. Use cheerful colors in the drapes, upholstery or the accessories in the waiting rooms as well as in the therapy rooms to reduce anxiety and claustrophobia in patients.
- It is very important to use color healing therapy in pediatric environments as well. Bright and cheerful colors can help keep little ones calm and relieve stress in both- the young patients as well as their caregivers or parents.
- In elders, the use of colors for healing therapy must take into account the vision problems in older patients. Avoid using excessively bright colors and bright focus lights. Instead, make use of colors that help the patients in focusing. Yellow, orange and red could be safely used in poorly lit conditions as they can help older patients focus better.
- In critical care units, colors like blue, violets and greens are recommended. Not only are these healing colors calming and soothing-they also have stress reducing effect. In such an environment, avoid the use of bright and energy inducing colors like red, yellow and orange.
Color breathing and meditation for healing
Patients can do the following simple yet powerful color healing and color breathing meditation to gain benefits of color healing therapy.
- Sit in a quiet room on a chair or bed.
- Close your eyes and count slowly as you breathe in.
- Hold the breath as you count slowly to 8 counts.
- Repeat this until your mind automatically quiets down and ponders over the healing harmony of colors that you receive from the sun’s rays.
- You can easily and gently try to focus your mind on the place between the eyebrows. This is the third eye center where the pituitary body is located. This little gland can increase your perception and sixth sense. Now let colors flood the entire body and mind.
- Repeat the exercise several times a day until you start to see Auras.
There are many colors that help healing but the 7 colors described above are proven to work through every cell of the body even exert influence on the soul, consciousness and spirit. Use these healing colors wisely and bring peace, joy and vitality in you and your loved ones.