The Third Chakra or the Solar plexus chakra is known as the Manipura Chakra in Sanskrit. ‘Mani’ stands for pearl or jewel and ‘pura’ stands for city. Thus, the Manipura Chakra is responsible for ‘pearls of wisdom’, well being, clarity and common sense in every individual. Experts call the Third Chakra the ‘self power chakra’- one’s self-confidence, self-discipline and the ability to achieve goals all come from it.
Location of the Third Chakra– The solar plexus chakra is located just behind the naval region below the rib cage.
Color associated with the Third chakra– The Solar Plexus Chakra is associated with Yellow color. Yellow symbolizes energy, intellect and also the relationship a person has with Fire and Sun.
Organs and functions connected to the Third Chakra– The Third Chakra impacts the stomach, liver, large intestine, pancreas and also the eyes and face.
Open and well balanced Chakras and their significance
It is vital to have well-balanced chakras for good health and overall well-being. When there is a block in the flow of energy in any of the seven chakras, one tends to suffer from allergies, digestive problems, psychological issues and other disorders. Often, we tend to blame our ill-health and the inability to achieve goals on our circumstances. However, experts in the field of Chakras suggest that these are a result of imbalanced chakras.
Chakras can be underactive (not open enough) or they could go in an overdrive to become overactive chakras. Both these conditions can cause a variety of emotional and physical problems in individuals.
Overactive Solar Plexus Chakras
Judgmental, critical, angry, over-energetic and aggressive personalities tend to have an overactive Third Chakra. Likewise, a person with a hyperactive Solar plexus Chakra tends to bully others. S/he has the attitude of ‘I am always right’ and tends to turn a deaf ear to advice given by others.
Underactive Third Chakra
As opposed to people with overactive Solar Plexus Chakra, those with underactive ones tend to be diffident, lacking self confidence or having severe emotional issues. These are the nervous type of people who tend to seek constant approval of others and worry about what everyone thinks of them.
Balancing the Solar Plexus Chakra or Third Chakra
A well balanced solar plexus chakra can enable one to effectively set out and achieve his/her goals. Cleaning and opening the Third chakra can make one a better leader or even stand up for him/herself to create a life one dreams of.
There are a number of ways in which one can balance the Third Chakra:
- Thinking Yellow- Meditating while envisioning the color yellow in the navel region is one of the ways of opening and balancing the Third Chakra. Experts also recommend wearing yellow colored clothes or spending time in the sunshine to energize this Chakra.
- Dancing, playing sports and indulging in energetic activities are also considered great for balancing all Seven Chakras.
- Gems and crystals like Citrine, Topaz and yellow Citrine are also known to harmonize and balance the Solar Plexus Chakra.
- Aromatherapy essential oils of Citronella and Lemon can be applied to pulse points to relax the senses while meditating upon the chakra.
- Yoga poses like the Camel, Cobra and Cow poses are ideal for opening and balancing the Third Chakra.
- Foods and spices like turmeric, chamomile, butternut squash, flax and sunflower seeds and bananas, lemons and corn are known to aid this Chakra.
For healing the solar plexus Chakra (or any other Chakra for that matter), it is important to state your intention before following any of these methods mentioned above. Doing so will make the process more effective.
The solar plexus Chakra is a very powerful Chakra that can help you achieve your goals and desires. It is, however, necessary to set smaller and doable goals to assert yourself when trying to balance it. This will enable you to love and respect yourself and become a stronger advocate of your needs.