The crown or the seventh chakra is located at the top of the head. Just as the Root or First Chakra connects us to the Mother Earth, the Crown Chakra is our connection to the Universe. In fact, the Seventh Chakra disperses the Universal energy or life force into the six other chakras located below it. In Sanskrit, the Crown Chakra is termed as the Sahasrara (the ‘thousand fold’ Chakra), since it is pictured as a lotus having thousand white petals.
Location of the seventh chakra– Top center of the head, midline between the ears.
Color– White or violet
Organs and functions connected to the Crown Chakra– Head, brain, ears, eyes, pineal gland, skeletal and muscular systems as well as the skin.
Open and well balanced Chakras?
When all seven Chakras are open optimally (i.e. not too much, not too little) they spin with energy and transmit it throughout the body. This helps the individual function properly physically and psychologically.
On the other hand, even if one Chakra is blocked or open too much, then the individual may experience frustration, ill health and destructive thoughts. Learning, concentration and memory problems, physical illnesses, chronic disorders, aches and pains as well as depression can be attributed to imbalanced Chakras.
Hence, optimum balancing of the Chakras is essential.
Overactive Seventh Chakra
In the overactive (or hyperactive) mode, the seventh Chakra can lead a person to have obsessive thoughts. Such individuals live in the past or constantly think about the future. Overactive Crown Chakra can also give rise to obsessive spirituality, so much so that his other duties are neglected.
Underactive Crown Chakra
Blockage in the Crown Chakra can render it inactive. Such a person tends to be rigid, selfish and spiritually unaware. There is general depression, lack of joy and loss of meaning or identity in his/her life. Blocked Crown Chakra can also lead to selfish thoughts, inability to see the bigger picture in life and a general lack of values and ethics.
A person with a closed Crown Chakra gets no guidance from the Supreme Power; this fact tends to anger him but he also feels unworthy of receiving such help in the first place.
Balancing the Seventh Chakra
Blocked or overactive Crown Chakra can lead to various physical ailments such as depression, headaches, neurological issues etc. Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s, paralysis, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, senility, dementia etc are also linked to imbalance in the seventh Chakra.
There are a few expert recommended techniques which can help us balance the seventh Chakra optimally. The key here is to open the Chakra just right: not too much, not too little.
- Meditate upon the Crown Chakra. Focus your attention on the top of the head and clearly set your intention of balancing the Chakra. Visualize the violet color when doing this. Thank the Universe and feel the connection to the Higher Being, since Gratitude and contentment are the simplest ways of strengthening this Chakra.
- Crystals and gems like Amber, diamonds and moldavite may be used when activating the seventh chakra.
- Aromatherapy with floral essences such as Lotus, Angelica and white tulip when applied to the pulse points can aid the meditation process.
- Yoga postures like Shavasana (corpse position) or Lotus position (Padmasana) are recommended for aiding the Crown Chakra. An advanced pose, the headstand or Shirshasan, also helps balance the Crown Chakra by increasing blood flow to the top of the head.
- Detoxifying and fasting for a day or two is also recommended to balance the Seventh Chakra. Light meals, broth, stews and soups, violet colored fruits and vegetables along with plenty of water must be used to clear the Crown Chakra and enable it to receive the Divine Energy.
The Crown Chakra is our connection with Divinity; it is the portal through which the life energy enters our body. Without this energy, human beings cannot function properly and tend to feel disconnected with self and others. By balancing and strengthening the Seventh Chakra, we can connect with the Higher Power to receive its love which can then be shared with those around us.
If you loved this post, tell me about it and add a little more color to my life.