The sacral chakra or the second chakra is known by many different names such as the navel chakra, abdominal chakra or the Svadishthana chakra. Svadishthana is the Sanskrit word for ‘abode of the self or the dwelling of the mind’. Thus, the second Chakra is concerned with centre of sensuality, creativity and procreation.
Location of the Second Chakra– The sacral chakra is located in abdominal region, directly over the testes in men and ovaries in women.
Color of the sacral Chakra– The naval or second chakra is connected to the Etheric body (the subtle state of consciousness that transcends the known physical universe). It is associated with the color Orange.
Organs and functions affected by the sacral chakra– The second chakra impacts all bodily fluids, taste, blood circulation, reproductive functions, large intestine, kidneys and lower back etc.
Open and balanced Chakras
It is essential to have open and well-balanced Chakras in order to enjoy optimal health and happiness. When they are out of balance, our Chakras can wreak havoc on the systems connected to them.
Our body sends out many signs when the chakras are not functioning the way they should be. If you are feeling sad, depressed or low in energy all the time, then it is likely that your Chakras are being blocked with negative energy. On the other hand, well-balanced and healthy chakras will instill feelings of calm, peace and serenity. You would also be better equipped to deal with daily stress and strain.
Overactive Second chakra
Humans have fixed beliefs that help them feel attracted to or repelled by others present in their surrounding physical world. These beliefs are directly impacted by the Second chakra. To rise above these judgments, it is important to balance the second chakra.
A person with an overactive sacral chakra will be overly dramatic or highly emotional. S/he tends to have an unhealthy mental, emotional or physical attachment to others around. Sexual problems, especially sexual addictions, are more likely in people with an overactive second chakra.
Underactive Second chakra
In case of an underactive sacral chakra, the individual will feel constantly repressed or harbor feelings of guilt or shame that lead to denying self of pleasurable things. Such people are unable to come up with anything creative, and tend to be sluggish and lazy. Their constant fatigue also leads to an inability to enjoy sex. Their daily interactions are affected by the fact that they are not always their true self.
Opening and balancing the Sacral Chakra
There are many physical symptoms which indicate that the second chakra is imbalanced or not functioning as intended: Aches and pains, irregular menstrual cycle, kidney and urine infections and other serious disorders like infertility issues, fibroids or cysts etc are also likely in these individuals. Muscular tension is another sign that something is wrong with the second chakra.
Balancing the second chakra can be done in a variety of ways as follows:
- Tone up and exercise- As stated above, muscular tension is one of leading signs that the sacral chakra is not in balance. Individuals can opt for dancing, regular gym workouts or walking daily for 30 minutes to strengthen and tone up the muscles.
- Yogic postures like the Cow pose, the Dancer’s (Nataraja) Pose, the Trikonasana or Triangle pose and child’s pose or Balasana are recommended for strengthening and balancing the second chakra.
- Meditating and envisioning the orange color in the naval region (or in the abdomen just above the pelvic region) is an effective way of balancing the sacral chakra.
- Crystals with a positive influence on the sacral chakra include Amber, Hematite, Orange Calcite and Red Jasper.
- Foods that help strengthen the sacral chakra include almonds, melons, coconut, mandarins, oranges, honey and water.
The sacral chakra is the ‘seat of all our emotions’. When well balanced, it can help an individual love self and others. He/she would become a happy, creative and ambitious person who is capable of accepting change, ‘going with the flow’ and forming healthy and happy relationships with people around.