The Brow Chakra is known by different names like the Third Eye Chakra, Inner Eye Chakra or The Sixth Chakra. In Sanskrit, the word Ajna meaning Third Eye is used to for it. The Third or Inner Eye is considered as The Gateway to Enlightenment or The Realm of Higher Consciousness. The sixth chakra is thus the center of inner perception and intuition. Our ideas, dreams, ambitions, goals, inner strength and self image all develop from this Chakra.
Location of the Brow Chakra– Just above and between the two eyebrows, on the forehead, over the bridge of the nose. Hindu women wear a Bindi, a circular dot in this region on the forehead, to symbolize or mark the Third Eye Chakra.
Color associated with the Sixth Chakra– Indigo
Organs and functions depending on the Third Eye Chakra-The eyes, nose, ears, brain, nervous system, the pituitary and pineal glands and their subsequent functions are influenced by the Third Eye Chakra.
Importance of Open and Balanced Chakras
All the seven chakras located along the spine need to be well balanced and open. Balanced Chakras help in smooth flow of energy which has a direct bearing upon the individual. S/he can enjoy good health and well being and experience gratitude for everything in life. On the other hand, illness, psychological disorders like stress, anxiety etc are the direct result of blocked or unhealthy Chakras.
Chakras, when not functioning properly, can become hyperactive or inactive. Both these conditions can have a negative impact on the individual.
Overactive Third Eye Chakra
In the overactive mode, the Brow Chakra can lead to an overactive imagination. One tends to live in a fantasy world which gives rise to dreams or nightmares. People with a judgmental attitude, over-intellectual thinking and unsympathetic nature tend to have the Sixth chakra in overdrive.
Inactive Brow Chakra
In case of inactive or weak Brow Chakra, the person tends to have memory or learning problems. Such people have difficulty in visualizing or imagining things. They can be quite insensitive towards others and might have poor intuition which they make up for by having rational or black-white thinking.
Balancing and opening the Sixth Chakra
Both inactive and overactive Brow Chakras can lead to several physical and mental problems. People might experience vision problems, hearing difficulties, stress and chronic headaches due to it. Panic attacks, depression, learning problems and spinal dysfunction issues are often a result of weak Sixth Chakra. With a well balanced and open Brow Chakra, one can become more intuitive, charismatic and completely devoid of ego. Such people do not face obstacles as they have a calm and clear mind that is accepting of people and situations as they arise.
There are several ways of balancing the Brow Chakra. It is essential to first balance all the lower chakras situated below it in order to establish a solid foundation for the Brow Chakra to develop.
- To strengthen and balance the Indigo Third Eye Chakra, close your eyes and meditate upon every facet of life that you envision building for yourself. This can be positive thoughts regarding your relationships, stability in income, or enjoyment in everything you do etc.
- Crystal Therapy for the Brow Chakra includes the use of purple or indigo colored stones or gems like Amethyst, Sodalite, Lazulite, Azurite etc.
- During meditation, you can utilize essential oils like angelic root, sage, cypress, marjoram, patchouli etc for Aromatherapy.
- Simplicity and acceptance of situations as they come are also a few ways of opening and strengthening the Sixth Chakra.
- Nutrition for the Third Eye Chakra consists of foods high in proteins and Omega-3 fatty acids such as sunflower or flax seeds, fatty fish like salmon, and nuts like walnuts etc. One must also eat plenty of berries like strawberries and blueberries as they help boost the cognitive function of the brain and also balance the Third Eye Chakra.
Our intuition is our guide and teacher that helps us through thick and thin of life and the situations it brings. When the Brow or the Third Eye Chakra is weak, the Intuition becomes weak, leading to misery, disappointments, wrong decisions etc. With a balanced Sixth Chakra, one can start to experience success by taking the right decisions and manifesting the innermost desires.