The rainbow is a beautiful natural phenomenon; knowing the significance of each of the colors of the rainbow makes it even more beautiful. While Nature or God has created this glorious natural phenomenon; philosophers have given a meaning to its colors.
Every rainbow has seven colors beginning with red and ending with violet or purple. To remember the order of these colors, people use the acronym ROY G. BIV or VIBGYOR which stands for Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo and Violet.
The Bible and the colors of the rainbow
We cannot talk about the significance of colors of the rainbow without mentioning the Bible. It is believed that “rainbow is a sign from the Almighty that we are not forgotten”. It is mentioned in the story of Noah’s Ark; after God appeared before Noah following the flood, there was a beautiful rainbow in the sky signifying his Glory and Power as well as His Covenant.
In the Bible, Rainbow is mentioned in The Genesis, The Revelation and also Book of Ezekiel.
- In Genesis, it is described as a sign of God’s Mercy as well as the pact/covenant He made with Noah that such a flood would not be sent again.
- In Ezekiel 1:26-28, colors of the rainbow are compared to the glory of God while in Revelation; Apostle John compares the rainbow colors to the glory or power of God.
Noah teaches Mankind the Seven Basic rules to adhere to conforming to the Seven Colors of The Rainbow:
- Thou shall not worship Idols
- Thou shall not Blaspheme
- Thou shall not murder
- Thou shall not have immoral relationships
- Thou shall not steal
- Thou shall Respect all Living Creatures
- Thou Shall Set up Courts of Law
These are termed as Noahide Laws and the seven colors of the rainbow remind us of our obligation to them.
Angel Colors and colors of the rainbow
Another important term related to the colors of the rainbow is Angel Colors. Devout Christians use these to focus on their Prayers to the Lord. Like the seven rainbow colors, there are seven Angel colors. Some gifted people with ‘sight’ do not just see the refracted light in the rainbow colors but another metaphysical system which they believe to be Angels sent to Earth to guide us. These are actually similar to the concept of Chakra and Aura colors, which we have discussed before.
The Seven Angel colors include:
- Blue- Angel Michael (the leader of all angels). Also denotes Spirituality
- Yellow- Angel Jophiel (Thoughts/Wisdom)
- Pink- Angel Chamuel- ( relationships)
- White- Angel Gabriel ( revelation)
- Green- Angel Raphael (healing)
- Red- Angel Uriel ( wisdom/energy)
- Purple- Angel Zadkeil (angel of Mercy).
Significance of colors of the rainbow in modern philosophy
Today, a great deal of research has been done on colors. Colors play an important role in our lives. Different colors symbolize different personalities, and also affect our moods differently. The seven colors of rainbow are also linked to seven chakra colors, seven day of the week, the colors of the Auras and so on. People use crystals, gems and other items in seven colors of the rainbow for attaining spirituality, good health, and wisdom.
Let us revisit the seven colors of the rainbow and what each one represents:
- Red– This is the first color of the rainbow from top. Red signifies passion, vitality, enthusiasm and security. It is the light with the longest wavelength.
- Orange– This light or color is a combination of yellow and red. It is a dynamic color representing creativity, practicality, playfulness as well as equilibrium or control.
- Yellow– This is the color of the sunshine itself. It represents clarity of thought, wisdom, orderliness and energy.
- Green– This is the middle color of the rainbow and denotes fertility, growth, balance, health and wealth.
- Blue– This the fifth color of the rainbow which makes us think of the Unknown. The sky and the wide oceans are in this color and hence it has been associated with Spirituality and Divinity.
- Indigo– It is believed that where Blue is calming, Indigo is sedating. Indigo is mystical as it bridges the Gap between Finite and Infinite. Indigo colored gem stones are often used for spiritual attainment, psychic abilities, self awareness and enhancement of Intuition.
- Violet– The last color of the rainbow is a mix of red and blue. It is considered the highest element of spirituality. It can ignite one’s imagination and be an inspiration to artists. Dark tones of violet are associated with sorrow. Deeper shades of violet or purple denote high spiritual mastery.
Thus, the seven colors of the rainbow are not only a thing of great beauty but also have Biblical/philosophical significances, specific functions and purpose.