Clothing colors carry a lot of emotions: each color not only represents a mood, it also changes the mood when paired up with other colors. Hence, clothing colors are pivotal when it comes to selecting clothes.
Of particular importance are the clothing colors you select when dressing up for an interview. Choose the right ones and you will be seen in the best light and have an advantage over other candidates. Choose the wrong ones; and you end up unknowingly conveying the wrong message to the interviewer.
Faber Birren was an expert on colors and has written over 2 dozen books on them. He believed that almost 85% of communication was non verbal and hence one can make a fairly accurate judgment about the “meaning of clothing colors choices and the subsequent revelations of personality they make”.
Clothing colors and personality types
Here are a few common clothing colors and the personality types they represent:
- Red: Did you know that people tend to gamble and take risks more under red lights? It is no wonder this is the predominant color choice in casino atmospheres. If you are drawn to red clothing colors, then it indicates extroversion, passion, energy, and a personality type that is driven to live fully. People who like red clothes also tend to be aggressive, energetic, and quick in releasing their emotions. Red clothing colors indicate a person who is quick in judging people and expressing his opinions. When going for a job interview, it is best to stay away from this color as it can convey the wrong message to the interviewer.
- Orange: Like orange clothing colors? Then you probably are a social person who is well liked and makes friends easily. The personality type which prefers orange clothes is happier in occupations which involve meeting groups of people.
- Yellow: Yellow clothing colors indicate a superior mind that is able to concentrate well. Personality types that prefer yellow tend to have an aloof manner but are not shy. It is difficult to ‘rattle’ such people. ‘Logical and consistent’ are two adjectives that go hand-in-hand with the personality type which prefers yellow clothing colors.
- Green: People who like green clothing colors tend to live in good neighborhoods, have a lot of friends and are very social. They are also environment friendly and have a good sense of balance. Such personality types tend to party well, eat well and live well. They are very mindful of their social standing, reputation and financial position.
- Blue: Blue clothing colors indicate freshness, peace and loyalty. Sometimes conceited, this personality type, especially men, tends to be witty and sarcastic. Women who like blue clothing colors often wish to portray an air of mystery along with intense appeal and sense of fashion. When attending a work interview, choose navy blue to show you are ‘in control’ while portraying calm, truth, confidence and security.
- Purple: Purple clothing colors were only used by the royalty in the past. Today, they indicate a personality type having great love for art, creativity and imagination. Such people also tend to have a deep insight. They are charming but prone to be temperamental.
- Black: Black is a good clothing colors choice for an interview as it indicates authority. Experts recommend using is mainly as an accent, like in scarves or ties, rather than using it as the main clothing color in order to not connote drama.
- White: White Clothing colors are ideal especially for an interview, for both men and women. White indicates simplicity, precision and goodness.
Your clothing colors are the first thing people will notice about you and they tend to form a large part of the first impression they will gather about your personality type. In a competitive job market or any other aspect where one needs to impress and stand out, the choice of clothing colors is no doubt an important part of the deal.
If you loved this post, tell me about it and add a little more color to my life.