In our waking state, colors stimulate emotions. Similarly, colors also stimulate emotions in dreams. Scientific REM studies have proven that we tend to dream in colors but we do not always recall them. The meaning of colors in dreams is not just indicative of the dreamers’ emotional states but also one’s personality traits.
In this guide, we will study the meaning of colors in dreams.
Color meanings in dreams
According to Robert Hoss who has extensively studied the significance of color meanings in dreams and its interpretations, dreams are characterized by the following aspects:
- Most people cannot recall their dreams and hence perceive them to be colorless.
- Only 25% of dreamers actually recall colors in their dreams. This is mainly because people can only remember the emotionally stimulating parts of the dream but tend to forget the rest.
- The colors and shapes in dreams come completely due to internal stimuli which may be based on the psychological associations the dreamer places with those objects and colors.
Based on his studies, Hoss interpreted and attached following meanings to color in dreams.
- Red– What does red mean in dreams? Intense, vital, animated, feeling sexy or having sexual urges, feeling the need to go out and enjoy or the need to feel assertive or forceful or even having inflammation or injury.
- What does the color Orange mean in dreams? The feeling of shaking off shackles, widening one’s sphere of influence, restlessness, driven by desires and hopes, wanting more contact with others.
- Yellow in dreams– Yellow color in dreams might indicate: seeking solution, feeling hope about the future, trying to find out a way of certain circumstances or situations, needing a change for relief.
- Green color in dreams– The need to establish oneself, wanting recognition, maintaining control of events, wanting what is due to him/her, wanting routine without changes, needing money for security, needing healing or better health.
- Blue in dreams- Tranquility, peace and quiet content is what blue color in dreams can be interpreted as. It also means needing rest, needing relationship where the dreamer feels trusted and trusting and also feeling the need to belong.
- What does the color Violet mean in dreams– Violet means many different things in dreams such as mystic union with someone or something, magical state where wishes are fulfilled, intimate or erotic feeling and even heightened intuition etc.
- Dreaming in Brown color– Brown in dreams is usually represented as the dreamer seeking physical comforts through food, sleep, sex etc. Dirty brown color meanings in dreams include illness whereas natural wooden brown color means concern about home, family, children or even the search for one’s roots and true self.
- Dreaming in gray– In dreams, gray is symbolic of being neutral or an observer. Gray means shielding oneself from situations and commitments and going through the motions without emotional involvement. It is also indicative of the person trying to escape anxious situation or an urge that the dreamer usually cannot identify.
- Dreaming in Black– Nothing is more complex than the interpretation of black color meanings in dreams. Shiny and luxurious black refers to going deep within oneself so that the new self can emerge. However, a dream wherein the dreamer moves into the darkness or blackness means he is undergoing a personality change or that certain situation in his life has made him feel threatened or fate has dealt him/her a blow. Black color meaning in dreams is also a representation of the unconscious.
- What does it mean to dream in White– White in dreams can be interpreted as newness, new beginnings, new awareness, or even those of feeling open and accepting, unprepared, alone or isolated.
Biblical Color meanings of dreams
According to Jewish and Christian scholars, dreams are a way in which God speaks to the dreamer. Accordingly, there are many Biblical color meanings of dreams which include the following:
- Red in dreams– According to biblical color interpretations in dreams, red is wisdom but taken negatively, it is anger and war.
- Blue in dreams– Biblical color meaning of blue is revelation as well as depression, sorrow or anxiety.
- Green– Green represents prosperity and growth but also negative emotions like envy and pride.
- Brown– Biblically, brown color meanings in dreams mean that the dreamer is humble and compassionate but also compromises always.
- Gold or Amber– This color meaning according to the Bible means purity, Holiness and Glory. Among its negative color meanings, Gold indicates defilement.
- Purple color meanings in dreams as per the Bible– Dreaming in purple indicate royalty and authority.
- What does the color Orange mean in dreams as per the Bible– Orange represents perseverance.
- Yellow in dreams– Fear, hope or cowardice are some of the meanings associated with yellow as per the Bible.
- Pink color in dreams– Pink represents the love of God. Red is Jesus’ blood and white is purity-so pink is a combination thereof. It also indicates sensuality and moral purity in real life.
- Dreaming in white as per the Bible– White in dreams according to the Holy book means Holiness, righteousness.
- Dreaming in Black– Demonic deeds, negative emotions like sin, darkness, mystery and death are some of the interpretations of Black color meanings as per the Bible.
We hope these meanings help you interpret what it means to dream in various colors.