In our waking state, colors stimulate emotions. Similarly, colors also stimulate emotions in dreams. Scientific REM studies have proven that we tend to dream in colors, but we do not always recall them. The meaning of colors in dreams is not just indicative of the dreamers’ emotional state, but also their personality traits.
In this guide, we will study the fascinating meaning of colors in dreams.
Dreaming in Color
According to Robert Hoss who has extensively studied the significance of color meanings in dreams and its interpretations, dreams are characterized by the following aspects:
- Most people cannot recall their dreams and they perceive them to be colorless.
- Only 25% of dreamers actually recall colors in their dreams. This is mainly because people only remember the emotionally stimulating parts of the dream, but they tend to forget the rest.
- The colors and shapes in dreams come completely due to internal stimuli, which may be based on the psychological associations the dreamer places with those objects and colors.
Color Meanings in Dreams
Based on his studies, Hoss interpreted and attached the following meanings to color in dreams.
Dreaming of the color red can indicate something intense, vital, animated, feeling sexy or having sensual urges, feeling the need to go out, to feel assertive or forceful or having inflammation or injury.
If you dream of the color orange you may get the feeling of shaking off shackles, widening your sphere of influence, restlessness, driven by desires and hopes, wanting more contact with others.
Yellow colors in dreams might indicate: seeking solution, feeling hope about the future, trying to find a way out of certain circumstances or situations, needing a change for relief.
The color green means a need to establish yourself, wanting recognition, maintaining control of events, wanting what is due, wanting routine without changes, needing money for security, needing healing or better health.
Tranquility, peace and quietness is what the color blue can be interpreted as in dreams. It also means needing rest, a relationship where the dreamer feels trusted and also feeling the need to belong.
The color violet means many different things in dreams such as mystic union with someone or something, magical state where wishes are fulfilled, intimate or erotic feelings and even heightened intuition.
The color brown in dreams is usually represented as the dreamer seeking physical comforts through food, sleep, sex etc. Dirty brown color meanings in dreams include illness, whereas natural wooden brown colors means that there is a concern about the home, family, children or a search for one’s roots and true self.
In dreams, the color gray is symbolic of being neutral or an observer. Gray means shielding yourself from situations and commitments, and going through the motions without emotional involvement. It is also indicative of the person trying to escape anxious situations or an urge that the dreamer usually cannot identify.
Nothing is more complex than the interpretation of black color meanings in dreams. Shiny and luxurious black colors refer to going deep within oneself so that the new self can emerge. However, a dream wherein the dreamer moves into the darkness or blackness means that he is undergoing a personality change, or that certain situations in his life has made him feel threatened, or fate has dealt him/her a blow. The color black is also a representation of the unconscious.
White in dreams can be interpreted as newness, new beginnings, new awareness, or feeling open and accepting, unprepared, alone or isolated.
Biblical Color Meanings in Dreams
According to Jewish and Christian scholars, dreams are a way in which God speaks to the dreamer. Accordingly, there are many biblical color meanings in dreams.
- Red: According to biblical color interpretations in dreams, the color red means wisdom, but taken negatively, it is anger and war.
- Blue: In a biblical sense, the color blue stands for revelation as well as depression, sorrow or anxiety.
- Green: The color green represents prosperity and growth, but also negative emotions like envy and pride.
- Brown: Biblically, brown colors in dreams mean that the dreamer is humble and compassionate, but also always willing to compromise.
- Gold or Amber: In the Bible, this color means purity, holiness and glory. Among its negative color meanings, gold indicates defilement.
- Purple: Dreaming in the color purple may indicate royalty and authority.
- Orange: The color orange represents perseverance.
- Yellow: Fear, hope or cowardice are some of the meanings associated with the color yellow as per the Bible.
- Pink: The color pink represents the love of God. Red is Jesus’ blood and white is purity, so pink is a combination thereof. It also indicates sensuality and moral purity in real life.
- White: White in dreams can mean holiness and righteousness.
- Black: Demonic deeds and negative emotions like sin, darkness, mystery and death are some of the interpretations of the color black.
We hope these color meanings help you interpret what your dreams are saying.