The best color combinations usually change with trends and seasons, so there is no point in getting hung up over them. Also, the best dress color combinations vary from person to person based on age, gender, and eye and hair color as well as the skin tone. That said; there are some universally acceptable color combinations for men and women. Let us discuss some of them:
Best dress color combinations for men
Colors can really enhance your personality when used correctly. Before we discuss best color combos for men’s dress, here are some rules to note:
- Brighter, lighter colors make you look larger
- Dark colors make you look smaller and slimmer
- Navy blue, black and grey are formal and authoritative.
- To look taller, wear single color outfit
- Light shirts go with dark pants and vice a versa
- For men with fair skin tones, it is best to avoid bright shades like orange and yellow.
- Men with medium/brown skin tone must avoid too dark or too light shades.
- Dress color combination for dark skin: avoid too bright and too dark shades.
Shirt and pants ideas
- Shirts in White, Blue, Baby pink and Beige go very well with Pants in Chocolate brown, Navy, Camel or electric blue.
- Dark colored shirts in maroon, purple, dark blue and black look great with beige, cream, khaki and gray pants.
- Checkered shirts go well with solid pants.
- Khaki trousers combine well with shirts in navy blue, maroon, red, green, black, white, purple, teal, pink and grey.
- Black trousers combine well with shirts in blue, maroon, aquamarine, orange, white, purple, yellow, light pink and light grey.
- Cream or beige trousers combine well with navy blue, sea green, maroon, pink and black.
- Gray trousers combine well with blue, green, red , black, aqua, light pink and cherry.
- Navy blue trousers go well with shirts in aqua, white, yellow, pink, khaki, red, peach, light green, black, purple, crimson, yellow, maroon etc.
- Color combination for dresses of wedding or parties- evergreen dress color combinations men are black shirt and white pant or navy blue shirt and khaki pants.
- In case of office wear, go in for white shirt with beige pants, light blue with dark grey pants or white shirt with either dark grey or blue pants.
Best dress color combinations for women
There are myriad choices when it comes to choosing favorite color combinations for clothes in women’s wardrobes. Here we can talk about primary and secondary colors.
If primary color is white, it goes best with black. You can also combine white with bright or other dark shades.
Image: Lily Boutique
Black, maroon, red and green go well with beige.
All pale and bright colors as well as maroon, light blue, red, bottle green go well when grey is the primary color.
All dark shades especially maroon, bottle green, pink, purple, pastels, and grey. Forest green, mint, white and scarlet work very well with light blue shades.
Best dress color combination for pink includes gray, cobalt, black, purple, light and dark or navy blue.
Image: Mint Julep Boutique
Black, brown, red, grey and navy or sky blue work best with yellow.
White, yellow, black and green make good combinations for orange. Navy, sandy beige, army green and purple are some other top colors that suit orange.
All light colors. White and beige go very well.
White, beige, black, red and green work well.
Image: Vampal UK
All shades of Red
White, pink, beige, navy blue, black and brown are good combinations for red. Lime, salmon, fuchsia and chocolate are some other great colors for red.
Green (all shades)
Beige, light blue, yellow, dark/navy blue, eggplant, and black are suitable. Lighter green like citron green works best with navy, yellow, tangerine and pewter grey. Aquamarine or sea green shade works well with khaki, scarlet, peach or navy.
There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to the best color combinations for men and women. That said, we hope these ideas help you pick the best colors for your wardrobe.